Companion Synod – Namibia
Guided by the Holy Spirit, the valued historical relationship of walking with the Lutheran Churches of Namibia is strengthened through prayer, study, communication and the exchange of pastors, leaders, visitors and resources.
Namibian Bishop and guest visited Iowa
Two guests from Namibia were honored when they visited the Northeastern Iowa Synod April 26 – May 1, 2016, as part of the Companion Synod relationship with Evangelical Lutheran Church in the Republic of Namibia (ELCRN).
Bishop Ernst Gamxamub of the ELCRN and his traveling companion, Leonard de Vries, who serves as finance director of the ELCRN, visited several sites in the synod during their visit and were honored at an Iowa potluck dinner at St. Paul’s, Waverly.
Gamxamub and de Vries visited Wartburg College, Wartburg Theological Seminary and Luther College. Their stahere they will visit Wartburg College in the morning, followed by lunch at the synod office and the evening potluck dinner. Their stay in Iowa also included a visit to a farmers market and a tour of a large agriculture operation. Gamxamub also preached at Good Shepherd Lutheran in Waterloo.
Their visit to Iowa was part of a larger trip that included visits to the four ELCA synods that have companion synod relationships with Namibia. Gamxamub and de Vries first met with companion synod representatives in Chicago, then flew to the Southwestern Washington Synod before coming to Iowa. The second leg of their trip included visits to the Metropolitan Washington D.C. Synod and the the New Jersey Synod.
Synod hosted two Namibia youth
In partnership with the ELCA Global Mission Unit and the 2015 ELCA Youth Gathering, the Northeastern Iowa Synod hosted two youths from Namibia in July and sponsored their participation at the 2015 ELCA Youth Gathering.
Vaino Junias Kambungu and Hileni Nagula Nuuyuni, both from the northern part of Namibia, were guests of honor at several congregations in this synod, before heading to Detroit for the Youth Gathering in July.
Read more about their visit to the Northeastern Iowa Synod and how you can support the Namibian travel fund.
About the Companion Synod-Namibia NetworkThe Northeastern Iowa Synod has had a companion relationship with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in the Republic of Namibia since 1990. Representatives from the Northeastern Iowa Synod have visited Namibia in May 2009 and May 2012. A number of Northeastern Iowa congregations have hosted visiting pastors from Namibia.
The purpose of the companion synod relationship is to strengthen one another for life and mission within the body of Christ. The Companion Synod – Namibia relationship offers us the privilege of mutually participating in the life of another church through prayer, study, communication, and exchange of pastors, leaders, visitors, and resources. It opens our eyes to the global challenge that Christ offers us today.
- The historical relationships with the Lutheran churches of Namibia
- The intersection of faith and culture
- The efforts of the churches of Namibia toward greater cooperation
- The opportunity to form relationships of Christian love and mutual support
- Support others who share these values through prayer.
- Connect with others who have relationships to Namibia (synods, colleges, seminaries, etc.)
- Invite others who share common values to be a part of this network.
- Educate others about our companion relationship.
- Accompany our Namibian brothers and sisters in Christ with their mission as churches.
- Expand visiting pastor program to include northeast Iowa Synod pastors to visit Namibia.
- Increase communication within the Northeastern Iowa Synod and companion synods in Namibia.
- Attend Churchwide consultation in Chicago with other Namibian Companion Synods.
- Host two youth from Namibia
- Work with other Namibian Companion Synods on visit exchanges in the future.
- Discuss communications opportunities.
- Work with Namibian Companion Synods in the ELCA to bring Namibian pastors to visit our synods.
FacilitatorRev. Rhea Evanson
Synod Council LiaisonDiane Wills
ResourcesELCA Companion Synod Relationships
Bishop Ernst//Gamxamub of ELC Republic of Namibia
PO Box 5069
Windhoek 9000 Namibia
Rev. Dr. Veikko Munyika,
ELCIN Western Diocese
PO BOX 674 Nakayale Omusati, Namibia
Bishop Shektaamba V.V. Nambala,
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Namibia
Private Bag 2018
Bishop Erich Hertel ELCIN –GELC
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Namibia (ELCIN-GELC)
P.O. Box 233
Request a Speaker
The Iowa travelers to Namibia would like to share their journeys with congregations, clubs and organizations of Northeast Iowa. To schedule a presentation, call the synod office at 319-352-1414 or send an email.
Global Mission Links